Thursday, January 31, 2013

Effects of Coffee in an Empty Stomach



I was on my work - a night shift schedule - and my lunch was supposed to be at 12 midnight but I skipped it. I have to save my last money or I wouldn't be able to come to work - how is that? So, I just drink coffee. I love coffee, and coffee is always free here in our office. I think I already consumed more or less half a liter of coffee tonight, and yes, my stomach was aching. I was, of course, hungry. But, there was a sudden pain again - heartburn. I inhaled deeply and tried to relax.

Again, I told myself that I was taking more caffeine and this has been affecting my damn stomach but I couldn't simply resist the desire to drink. I was addicted to it.
Strangely, I found myself on the Google homepage and typing "effects of coffee in empty stomach" and the top answers immediately showed up. I select the third website and found myself drawned to the article Effects of Coffee: What a cuppa can give you…. by Sanjana - Dietitian on July 29, 2008 in Food, Health.

I began reading the paragraphs as I mentally writing checks and encircling the words on the website if a certain effect or symptom was happening to me.
"Because coffee is a diuretic it can cause people to become dehydrated; a lack of fluid in an individual’s body causes constipation"
I've read a few articles about coffee, but this was the first time that I got an idea and explanation about coffee causing dehydration. Now I realized that this is the reason why I always want to drink, but since I drink coffee, it was keeping me even more thirtsy without me knowing! That this was part of the reason why I've always got a dry mouth.
“Drinking coffee over an extended period of time can lead to an individual developing yellow teeth and cavities, especially if large amounts of sugar are added to the drink.”
I've been drinking coffee for years. So coffee was villain wich has been ruining my teeth all this time! How come I wasn't able to realize that?
“Caffeine causes thinning of the bones (osteoporosis)”
It's hard to regain bone density as we age, so this should served as I warning to me. Since I am a woman, I was prone to osteoporosis.
“The caffeine, oils and acids in coffee irritate the stomach lining, which can cause excessive production of hydrochloric acid leading to a variety of digestive ailments.”
THIS! This was really a big portion of my worry. I've been suffering from a lot of pain in my stomach and my digestive system was really screwed up! I've been skipping meals, drinking lots of coffee, staying up late, sleeping less, working on a night shift schedule, being stressed - Hell! I've been ruining my digestive tract and ruining it more by drinking coffee. My tummy was always bloated. I often experienced gas pains. I often felt like pooping but there was nothing coming out! But then again, why I still hasn't stopped drinking?
“Drinking coffee on an empty stomach produces an even greater increase in stomach acid, and can cause stomach pain almost immediately in some people.”
This was causing heartburn, acid reflux, and the endless pain of my dear stomach.
“It causes heartburn, excess gas, bloating ulcers, and it is terrible for your digestion. Drinking coffee increases your risk of getting ulcers by 72%! That’s a lot!”
Increased risk of getting ulcers by 72%! Crazy as it sounded, I was afraid I already have. I've never visit a doctor because of the fear of knowing.
“If you have been drinking coffee for years, the chronic irritation of your stomach lining can lead to inflammation and pain even if you only drink one or two cups a day.”
So it clearly stated that coffee will always be a main trigger of stomach pain. No matter how many cups I drink.
“If you drink a lot of coffee, and you have digestion problems, stomach pains, or heartburn… Well, what are you waiting for! Stop already!”
Stop already! That's kind of easy to say. Caffeine is addictive but I really wanted to overcome and heal this stomach pain without the prescription of a doctor. So maybe, just convincing myself, I really needed to start reducing coffee intake - gradually... And see if my digestive system will go back on its natural - and painless - tract.

Thanks to Sanjana! I think I got some more motivation and determination from her article!
Photo From Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write your comment or message here.

Ads by Google