Friday, January 18, 2013

When the Restless Leg Attacks: A Small Talk about Restless Leg Syndrome

When the Restless Leg Attacks: A Small Talk about Restless Leg Syndrome

I was working at the office, and then all of a sudden, I felt that restless feeling on my left limb – particularly on my left leg. There was an uncomfortable feeling on my leg that I couldn't seem to understand or explain what I was really feeling. I have been experiencing that annoying sensation in my leg for so many times, and I should say randomly, just like today. So I decided to hit the Google bookmark button and asked what I can do to prevent this from happening.

The Google’s top 1 answer was from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001810/, and it stated: Restless leg syndrome is a disorder in which there is an urge or need to move the legs to stop unpleasant sensations.

I agreed about this statement, but I almost frowned when I read that there was no cure for RLS. There were treatments to ease the restlessness and some tips for prevention like relaxing the muscles though. I continued digging in to the paragraphs and found out that it could be experienced often in middle-age and adult years – but hey I was only 22! – and with all the risk factors, the only possible or related conditions to me would be [1] the presence of caffeine in my body (I drink coffee more than the recommended) and [2]the fact that it can be passed down in families. However, I didn’t have an idea if somebody on my family experienced RLS before.

What intrigued me more that I really have this syndrome was the fact that this can disrupt the quality of sleep. As stated as one of its symptoms, RLS would usually occur at night when someone’s lying down and it may last for an hour or even longer. It was true. I often have a hard time trying to sleep or staying asleep because I would often woke up feeling the same unpleasant sensation on my leg and I needed to move it so the restless feeling would be gone. But it can also occur when you sit for a long time – just like this moment.

As I was writing this article, I was trying to put pressure on my left leg down to the ankle and feet. I moved my feet in circular motion on my ankle, bent, stretched, and walked the hallway to relieve the restless sensation. Discomforting as it was, the Restless Leg Syndrome would continue to visit me anytime. I just wished I would discover more treatments so I can prevent it from coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write your comment or message here.

Ads by Google