Monday, October 12, 2015

Blog Series: Learning SEO Basics

Blog Series: Learning SEO Basics

In my efforts to learn more about SEO, I decided to make a small blog series so I can share my learning experiences with you. And since I am currently working full time, enrolling in a school or short course may not be the best move. There are lots of online resources and tutorials and I believe (tried and tested) that self-study is a good start.

If you ever ask yourself "How Can I Make My Website Rank Higher in Search Engine Results," then you may need some search engine optimization or SEO works done in your website. So the big question is...

What is SEO?

Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a method of improving the visibility of a website in a search engine's organic search results. It does not affect the paid or sponsored results such as Google AdWords. Search engines determine relevance and ranking by indexing the website. If it can understand your contents, your search results ranking will go higher and your visibility to potential visitors/readers will also increase.

The main goal of SEO is to increase the number of users visiting a website by making the site appears on the higher ranks of search engine results. Search engines determine the relevance and ranking of a site by indexing its pages. If it can crawl, index and understand your contents, it means that your site is SEO-friendly.

Why Study SEO?

  • Upgrade My Blogs - I have blogs and earning visitors are great - they can be potential active readers and referrers.
  • Boost Visibility / Searchability of Business Blogs or Websites - I manage business blogs (like my mother’s eco-friendly totes and hand bags website) and having knowledge on how I can boost the visibility of my mom’s online shop is needed to attract potential customers.
  • Additional Skills to Gain as a Web Designer - I work as a web designer (with some coding works). I deal with applying some optimizations for websites. Knowing more can surely level up my skills and experience. 
REMEMBER: While it is great that search engines are able to understand and index your website, it is also important to make the site is easier for people (site visitors), too.

There are more reasons to learn SEO, but that's it for me. What's yours? :)

. . . . .

Anyways, here are the topics that I decided to include in this series (I may add/remove more from time to time).
  1. Title Tag and Meta Description Tag
    • Unique and specific page titles
    • Meta description tag
  2. Site Structure
    • Improved URL structure
    • Make the site easier to navigate
  3. Optimized Content
    • Engaging and quality contents
    • Appropriate Heading Tags
    • Well-written anchor texts
  4. Optimized Images
  5. Backlinks
  6. Crawlers
  7. Pay Per Click
  8. Social Media
(NOTE: This post gets updated every time a new article is published.)
Stay tuned and let's study SEO together! :)



Sources: Google, Search Engine Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write your comment or message here.

Ads by Google